About Energy Safe Victoria
We are an independent government agency responsible for the safe generation, supply and use of electricity, gas and pipelines.
Becoming a commission
On 1 January 2021 Energy Safe Victoria became a three-person commission, appointed under the Energy Safe Victoria Act 2005. This Act is administered by the Minister for Energy and Resources, Hon. Lily D’Ambrosio.
A recommendation of the 2018 Review into Victoria’s Electricity and Gas Network Safety Framework, the Commission replaces the role of Director of Energy Safety and holds all the regulatory powers previously held by the Director.
The Commission comprises:
- Commissioner and Chair, Monique Conheady
- Commissioner and Deputy Chair, Michelle Groves
- Commissioner, Sarah McDowell.
Additionally, the Commission will be supported by five advisory committees and a CEO, who will not be a Commissioner.
What we do
Our role is to ensure Victorian gas and electricity industries are safe and meet community expectations.
- License Victoria’s electrical workers
- Issue and audit Certificates of Electrical Safety (COES)
- Ensure gas and electrical appliances are approved and safe for use
- Investigate gas and electrical incidents
- Educate the community about energy safety via , which include
- Be Sure (gas safety in the home)
- DDIY (don’t do your own electrical work)
- Know the drill before you grill (gas BBQ safety) and
- Be on the right side of power safety (getting old household wiring checked).
Energy Safe’s regulatory role also includes overseeing:
- Major industry safety cases and safety management schemes for the design, construction and maintenance of electricity, gas and pipeline networks across the State
- Bushfire mitigation programs and
- Tree clearance around powerlines.
Date: 05/03/2024 9:53
The material in this print-out was accurate at the time of printing.
Reviewed 01 December 2023